Yellow-green flies???

Paul Hopkins phopkins at gladstone.ucsf.edu
Fri Dec 14 08:30:04 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm relatively new to drosophila, and have been doing RNAi for a gene
of unknown function using a UAS-inverted repeat construct.

I see late eclosure, but possibly more interesting is a pale
yellow-green colour in newly eclosed males. It is particularly
noticeable on the ventral side of the  abdomen, but is no longer
noticeable after about 12 hours. It is more yellow in colour than the
jade-green stuff that newly eclosed flies secrete.
This colour occurs only in males and in none of the control flies,
male or female.

Before I go overboard trying to identify what this yellow-green stuff
is: has anyone seen anything like this before???  Being new to flies,
I don't want to be chasing a red-herring...

thanks!

Paul
PS please cc me if you reply to this.

---