FlyBase Mailing List Purloined

T. Kaufman kaufman at bio.indiana.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:27:10 EST 2001

Members of the Drosophila Community

It has come to the attention of FlyBase that our people list has been used
by a commercial enterprise without our permission.  Many of you may have
recently received a mass mailing from Blackwell Science Ltd. advertising a
new journal.  We want you to know that Flybase did not sell the list or
give permission for its use.  Unfortunately we have no ready way to prevent
the unauthorized use of the addresses listed in FlyBase that would not
compromise its current structure and use characteristics.  Thus we have to
let each individual decide what they want to do about this unfortunate
event.  We would like to point out that the people list is one of the most
popular items in FlyBase and that it is used legitimately and regularly to
find folks in the field.  Additionally having your name and more
importantly your correct email address listed allows you to receive
important information about community issues such as the recent mailing of
the "White Paper".  We would also like to point out that in the entire
period that the list has been public this is the first time it has been
used without permission.  Thus the annoyance coefficient has been low.
Because of our view that the list is an important community resource and
that it should be freely accessible to all we will continue to maintain it
as we have in the past.  If any of you have suggestions or comments please
contact T. Kaufman or FlyBase Help (flybase-help at morgan.harvard.edu).

--tk for FlyBase

Thom Kaufman   	     	       kaufman at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
--- Department of Biology, HHMI --- Indiana University
--- Jordan Hall 142 --- 1001 East Third Street --- Bloomington, IN 47405
--- 812-855-3033/Office --- 812-855-7674/Lab --- 812-855-2577/FAX

---