problems staining imaginal discs - esp. eye discs

Anna Levine anna2061 at
Wed Jul 4 10:40:15 EST 2001

I would be very grateful for help/ideas with the following problem I've been
experiencing lately:

when trying to stain 3rd-instar imaginal discs using the DAB-HRP method,
which I have had success with in the past, I now get only a very weak
signal. This is especially a problem in the eye discs, which I am
particularly interested in.

I have tried changing almost every component of the method: I've used
different primary and secondary antibodies, fresh formaldehyde and blocking
solutions, and new DAB (Sigma Fast DAB tablets; I'd previously used,
successfully, DAB solution from DAKO). Blocking and antibody dilutions are
done in buffer containing normal donkey serum - the secondary antibodies are
raised in donkey, and aliquots of it have given good results in the past.

I've even tried different fly stocks than usual.

It's very difficult to think of what else to try - does anyone have any

Thank you very much in advance!

Anna Levine

Dr. Anna Levine
Faculty of Life Sciences