bloomington media recipe

Howard Rundle hrundle at sfu.ca
Tue Nov 27 17:13:57 EST 2001

Hi,

Our department is currently in the process of searching for a new
drosophila media recipe. I am intrigued by the 'Standard Medium' in use at
Bloomington: http://fly.bio.indiana.edu/bloom-food.htm. This recipe
includes soy flour and claims to result in a product that is firm and
resists liquification from heavy larval activity, and also stores well at
10 -14C. It is also supposed to keep for at least a month if tightly
plugged. However, they warn that the food is quite thick, even when hot, so
it may cause problems with some pumps.

I am interested to hear from those who have used this
recipe?  Specifically, does it stand up to the claims they make and perform
well? Is it a much bigger hassle to make than the regular cornmeal medium?
Do obscura group flies do well on it or is it only good for melanogaster?

Any input from users of this recipe would be greatly appreciated
(rundle at sfu.ca).

Cheers,
Howard Rundle

Howard D. Rundle
Dept. of Biological Science, Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC
V5A 1S6, CANADA
Phone: 604-291-5636; Fax: 604-291-3496
E-mail: hrundle at sfu.ca