article about fruitfly research

Lisette Roosing l.c.roosing at student.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 29 09:03:36 EST 2001

Hello everybody,

On the site of 'Scientific American' I read about a research concerning
the aerodynamics of the fruitfly (by H. Dickinson, Berkely University). I am
a student of 'Communication Science'
at the University of Twente in the Netherlands. For the course 'journalism
and science' I have to write a few articles. The research (described in the
article on the site of Scientific American) sounded very interesting to me
and wrote short article about it. But I still have some questions about the
subject and I really hope someone reading this newsgroup can give me some
answers (I tried to sent some e-mails to the researcher but I didn't get any
reply).

* The article is about flying techniques and trics that fruitflies use to
fly and make such sharp turns etc. To help analyse the flying behaviour of
the fruitfly the researchers have developed 'robofly', a model of the
fruitfly. I was wondering: is this research purely to get to know more about
the flying and the behaviour of fruitflies or can you also think of
practical applications in society ( developing new airplanes etcetera).

* The fruitfly is used a lot in research and ther is a lot of knowledge
about the fruitfly. Do you think it is possible to generalise the insights
about the aerodynamics of fruitflies to other sorts of flies or even other
flying animals?

I hope someone can find time to answer my questions. Thanks a lot and good
luck with your work with fruitflies!

Greetings,

Lisette Roosing
Matenweg 75-113