Genomic DNA extraction

Andrea Osterlehner andreao at skio.peachnet.edu
Mon Jul 29 09:06:57 EST 2002

Hallo,

I am struggling with the isolation of genomic DNA of Drosophila. First I

tried a tissue kit which worked well for marine organisms but did not
work for Drosophila. Next I tried a protocol using frozen flies,
grinding them in a buffer containing SDS, Sucrose and EDTA, heating,
Phenol-Chloroform extraction and final EtOH precipitation. The DNA yield

was poor too, only 140 ng from 15 flies. For a southern blot experiment
I need much more genomic DNA.
I would be glad if somebody could send me a protocol, which works well.

Thanks a lot,  Andrea.

---