Genomic DNA extraction

J. Rinehart jrineharNOSPAM at snake.eou.edu
Tue Jul 30 12:19:51 EST 2002

Andrea:

For several years now we have been using the Promega Wizard genomic DNA kit.
This works with almost any insect (we've used it successfully with flies,
even single flies, where we get nearly a microgram of DNA per fly; we've
also used it with more "crunchy" insects like bark beetles). The trick is to
make sure the animals are ground but not macerated, because that seems to
cause shearing. Otherwise, it's a very good little kit in our experience.

Hope this helps.

John Rinehart