from a high school teacher

Chris Jones 6kuritaro at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 7 09:40:52 EST 2002

> Is there information out there related to the important nutrients needed
> for fruit flies especially as larvae.
> For example vitamins that are antioxidants?
> Or are there certain nutrients that may protect flies against oxidants
> and/or mutations.

Possibly, but I don't know that area of research. Have you tried
searching the reference database in FlyBase?

> Are there safe ways for students to mutate flies?

Depends a whole lot on the students: by definition, most mutagens are
potentially dangerous. Chemicals such as EMS are often used, but I'd be
wary of letting students use the stuff. Perhaps a friendly dentist will
let you use his X-ray equipment (or actually, will mutate them for you).
A very safe method is using a genetic mutagen such as P-elements, but
this is a more time-consuming route. And it isn't a mode of mutation
that nutrients would (presumably) protect against.

Chris Jones

--
To reply by email, please remove the initial digit from my address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!