Post-doc/tech positions

Kim McKim mckim at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Nov 8 17:10:07 EST 2002

Positions Open for Research on the Molecular Genetics of Meiotic
Recombination.

My laboratory currently has two positions open for a technician or a
post-doctoral fellow.  We are looking for energetic scientists with an
interest in applying genetic techniques towards understanding an
important biological process.  More specifically, we use molecular,
genetic and cytological techniques to study and understand the genes
required for meiotic recombination and chromosome segregation in
Drosophila melanogaster females.

email Dr. McKim for details.

Lab web site:  waksman.rutgers.edu/~mckim

The objective of the research in my laboratory is to understand how the
genetic information of the parent is segregated into the reproductive
cells or gametes.  Central to this process is meiosis, where the
chromosome complement of the parent is divided in half and packaged into
either a sperm or oocyte.  This process must be precise, because if the
gamete receives abnormal numbers of chromosomes, the result is
aneuploidy in the fertilized cell and usually death of the developing
embryo.  In certain cases, these aneuploids survive in humans, resulting
in syndromes such as Down's, Turner's and Klinefelter's.  But in most
cases the aneuploids are lethal and in humans are the leading cause of
infertility and spontaneous abortions in women.  This research has far
reaching applications.  For example, errors during meiosis lead to
decreased fertility in humans.  In addition, understanding defects in
recombination and DNA repair have implications for many forms of
cancer.  Many of the genes with a role in meiosis also function in
somatic cells for DNA metabolism and repair.

--
Kim S. McKim, Ph.D.
Waksman Institute and Department of Genetics
mckim at rci.rutgers.edu
http://mbclserver.rutgers.edu/~mckim