from a high school teacher

Mr. M Kurtz rkurtz3 at juno.com
Thu Oct 31 09:09:02 EST 2002

Dear User Group

A couple of my high school students want to do a research project using
fruit flies.
They want to find out if nutrient supplements can protect fruit flies
against mutations.
They have come up with some questions and they have not been able to
locate some basic
answers yet.

Is there information out there related to the important nutrients needed
for fruit flies especially as larvae.
For example vitamins that are antioxidants?
Or are there certain nutrients that may protect flies against oxidants
and/or mutations.

My students want to feed the flies a supplement and mutate the flies and
try to to see if certain supplements could protect them against a
mutagen?

Are there safe ways for students to mutate flies?

I am looking for some suggetions or advice to give these students.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank  you,

Richard Kurtz
South Side High School