embryo DNA protocol

Dr. Julie Brill jabrill at sickkids.ca
Wed Sep 4 09:07:21 EST 2002

Dear fly folks,

	We are embarking on a local P hop and would like to use pooled
embryos as a source of DNA to identify mutations in the gene of interest.
I have been looking in vain for an embryonic DNA protocol.  Do any of you
have a simple protocol for making DNA from  pools of embryos to use in PCR?

	We were thinking of starting with pools of ~50 putative "hops",
mating them to virgin females, collecting embryos (overnight?), grinding
them up, doing PCR, identifying positive pools, subdividing, and repeating
until we isolate single males with mutations (insertions, deletions) of
interest.

	Any advice and protocols would be much appreciated!

			Best wishes,

				Julie Brill

Julie A. Brill, Ph. D.

Research Institute