Proposal Fly Nomenclature Changes

Kevin Cook kcook at bio.indiana.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:15:18 EST 2003

Dear Colleagues,

The Fly Board appointed a committee consisting of the two of us, Scott
Hawley and Kevin Cook, to consider issues concerning Drosophila
nomenclature.  We were charged with evaluating troublesome aspects of
nomenclature and offering suggestions to simplify and rationalize the
naming of genetic elements.  In particular, we were asked to examine the
practice of capitalizing gene names.  While we may bring other
nomenclatural issues up for discussion by the Drosophila community in the
future, we would like to focus now on capitalized gene names.

As we announced at the Fly Meeting, we are distributing a proposal for
public comment.  It may be viewed at
http://flystocks.bio.indiana.edu/Caps.htm. Please examine the document and
send your comments to Scott Hawley (RSH at Stowers-Institute.org) and/or Kevin
Cook (kcook at bio.indiana.edu).  We would like to know what you think about
the issue of capitalization in general and what you think about proposed
changes to symbols for specific genes.

We will periodically compile comments and post them on-line at the URL
above.  Please feel free to respond to posted comments.  If you do not want
your comments posted publicly or if you would like your comments posted
anonymously, please tell us in your correspondence.

We hope we can reach some consensus about this issue.  If changes are to be
implemented, we will make an announcement in the Fall.

Best regards,
Scott Hawley and Kevin Cook

Kevin Cook, Ph.D.               Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology           http://flystocks.bio.indiana.edu
Jordan Hall 142
Indiana University              812-855-5782
1001 E. Third St.               812-855-2577 (fax)
Bloomington, IN  47405-3700     kcook at bio.indiana.edu

---