Proteomics and Bioethics: The Future of the Human Genome

Laura Wood laura.wood at researchandmarkets.com
Tue Jul 29 08:53:25 EST 2003

I enclose details of our Proteomics and Bioethics Report.

As genetic testing becomes more mainstream, the potential for genetic discrimination by government, insurers, employers, schools, banks, and others is clearly on the horizon.

Companies are racing to make sense, and commercial profits, from the mass of information pouring out of the Human Genome Project.

With each new discovery, hope is given to those currently suffering from diseases that have previously been untreatable.

As minds race to the not-so-distant future, we see a lengthy list of ethical issues previously unfathomable to society including clones, eugenics, and designer babies.

Proteomics and Bioethics focuses on the intriguing next steps following the sequencing of the human genome.

Significant attention is given to the current plights of many technologies in practice for both genomics and proteomics including unique insight into strategies and technologies at leading companies in the industry.

In addition, this Briefing dives into the ethical, legal, and societal concerns stemming from the incredible scientific strides and the potential future outcomes.

For more details on this report click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4047

Unique Benefits of this Briefing:

- Uncover the current technologies hard at work within genomics and proteomics, with the ultimate goal of making sense of the functions of the sequenced gene.

- Keep tabs on the sequencing of the Human Genome with discussions on sequencing technologies currently under development and the commercial opportunities awaiting the new discoveries.

- Discover the key companies developing commercially viable products as a result of the past years' discoveries.

- Understand the political ramifications with discussions on genetic privacy and discrimination - including current federal and state policies on these issues.

- Dig into bioethics as the author highlights the current ethical, legal, and societal concerns surrounding gene testing, clones, stems cells and more.

Key technologies covered include:

- DNA Microarrays
- Protein Microarrays
- Proteomics
- Transcriptomics
- Pharmacogenomics
- Structural Proteomics
- Structural Genomics - In Silico Biology
- Comparative Genomics
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs)
- Microfluidics
- Bioinformatics

Impending Bioethics Debates: As the use of genetic information becomes more commonplace in our society, a number of issues arise that must be addressed -

Will there be genetic discrimination from insurers, or employers rendering somebody uninsurable or unemployable?

What is the individual's psychological impact and possible stigmatization due to the knowledge of their genetic make up?

Where is the line between medical treatment and enhancement?

What social consequences would genetic diagnoses of such traits as intelligence, criminality, or homosexuality have on society?

Will the use of stem cells evolve to the point of creating "designer"  babies?

Will we begin germ line gene therapy, tampering with a sperm or egg, potentially affecting all of the progeny?

For more details on this report click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4047

Report Pricing:
Hard Copy   EUR 2,135
Electronic   EUR 2,135
CD-ROM   EUR 2,135

ORDERING - FOUR EASY WAYS TO PLACE YOUR ORDER:

Order online: To order this report please click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4047
Order via email: mailto:orders at researchandmarkets.com
Order via fax-back form: Click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4047 Fax to +353 14957318
Order via post: Click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4047
Mail to Research and Markets Ltd., Guinness Centre, Taylors Lane, Dublin 8, Ireland

Related Reports Available from Research & Markets Ltd:

Post Genome Project Era Proteomics R&D Competition - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/7670
Prospects for Commercialization of Human Monoclonal Antibodies - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/1929
Commercial Implications of Advances in the Identification, Mapping, and Application of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/403
Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors: Redefining Pharmaceutical Approaches to the Treatment of Cancer - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/207
Revolutionise Drug Discovery through Genomics & Proteomics Study - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/16637
Human Genome: Its future - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/28549
Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms: Commercial and Scientific Prospects - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/416
Glycogen synthase kinase 3 inhibitors: Proof of concept and therapeutic opportunities for the treatment of diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, stroke & bipolar disorder  - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/10736
Critical Success Factors in Market Launch: Maximizing revenues through effective penetration strategies - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/941
Genomic-Scale Gene Expression Analysis: Advancing from DNA to Disease - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/413
Toxicogenomics and Related Approaches: The Promise of Safer, Smarter Drug Development - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/398
Maximizing R&D Productivity: Getting More Bang For Your R&D Buck - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/862
Overcoming Formulations Challenges: Novel Techniques for Optimum Results - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4042
U.S. Bio-Computing IT Market Bio-Computing + Pharmaceutical Companies, The Fusion of Computing and Drug Discovery: Technologies, Products, Vendors, Opportunities and Market Forecasts  - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/295
GPCRs: Mining The Richest Vein In Drug  Discovery - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/28706

Click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com for details.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

Laura Wood
Senior Manager
Research and Markets Ltd
laura.wood at researchandmarkets.com

REPORT DATA SUMMARY:
Proteomics and Bioethics: The Future of the Human Genome
Publisher Name: Drug and Market Development Publishing
Number of Pages: 140
Category: Biotech, Pharma, Technology

Subscribe: Click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/register.asp You can subscribe free for regular details on new research in your sector.