P Transformation Service Available

Eric Spana spana at duke.edu
Sat Sep 13 19:45:12 EST 2003

Hello All:

We've started a P-element transformation service here at Duke in the
Non-Mammalian Model Systems Unit.  We have been offering this service
for about 9 months now, and have done over 100 transformations for a
couple dozen labs.

We offer two levels of service:
In the first (Service A), you send us DNA, we mix in the helper, and
inject.
We ship you the 1st or 2nd instar larvae.  This service doesn't come
with
any guarantees.  The total cost for this service is $250 per construct.

In the second (Service B), you send us a plate of E. coli, and we make
the
DNA, mix in the helper, and inject.  We then ship you the larvae for
you to
cross.  We guarantee at least 4 transformants, or you don't pay.  Total
cost
for Service B is $450 per construct.

A breakdown of our statistics for an "average" construct is:
150 eggs injected-->115 larvae shipped-->70 adults-->50 fertile
crosses-->
7.5 independent tranformant vials.

Since our rates are so good, we don't need to inject many eggs, and can
do
a fairly decent throughput.  Our turn-around time is usually 7-10 days,
and
mostly constrained by shipping.

Please check out our website if you would like more information:
www.biology.duke.edu/model-system
or email me at spana at duke.edu

eric
Eric P. Spana, PhD
Executive Director, Non-Mammalian Model Systems Unit
DCMB Group Box 91000
Room B310, LSRC Building, Research Drive
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708
phone:  919-613-8208;  fax:  919-613-8177
email:  spana at duke.edu              www.biology.duke.edu/model-system

---