postdoctoral position, zebrafish

Stephen H. Devoto sdevoto at wesleyan.edu
Mon Sep 29 15:40:18 EST 2003

Postdoctoral Position Available
Zebrafish Developmental Genetics

The Devoto and Karlstrom Labs are looking for a postdoctoral fellow
to work on zebrafish developmental genetics. The two labs study
muscle (Devoto) and neural (Karlstrom) development, with recent work
elucidating how hedgehog signaling regulates muscle fiber type
differentiation and ventral forebrain patterning, respectively. Our
two labs are now embarking on a collaborative genetic screen to
identify genes involved in Hedgehog signaling.

The Labs:
The Devoto lab (http://sdevoto.web.wesleyan.edu/) works on the
development of muscle cell identity and muscle growth in zebrafish.
We have found that Hedgehog signaling regulates muscle cell identity
in the early embryo.  The Devoto lab is at Wesleyan University, in
Middletown, Connecticut.  The Wesleyan Biology department provides a
vibrant and dynamic environment for research and learning.  The
department is particularly strong in Developmental Biology, Cell
Biology, Genetics, and Neurobiology.

The Karlstrom lab
(http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/faculty/karlstrom.phtml) studies
neural patterning and axon guidance in zebrafish.  We have found that
Hedgehog signaling is critical for the patterning of the ventral
forebrain and pituitary, and for the establishment of neural
connections between the eye and brain.  The Karlstrom lab is at the
University of Massachusetts in Amherst.  The UMass Biology department
provides a rich training environment and has an interactive group of
scientists studying neural development in several model organisms.
Graduate programs in Neuroscience and Behavior
(http://www.umass.edu/neuro/) and Molecular and Cellular Biology
(http://www.bio.umass.edu/mcb/) provide resources in a wide array of
research approaches.

Contacts:
Please contact either of us by email, snail mail, or telephone.

Stephen H. Devoto, Department of Biology, and Neuroscience and
Behavior Program, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT  06459
sdevoto at wesleyan.edu
phone: 860-685-3461
FAX: 860-685-3279

Rolf Karlstrom, Department of Biology, University of Massachusetts,
Amherst, MA, 01003.
karlstrom at biol.umass.edu
phone 413-577-3448
FAX 413-545-3243