Group of dead flies, what are they doing? (0/1)

Joost de Jong joost.dejong at planet.nl
Tue Apr 6 12:44:29 EST 2004

Hi,

Well, bit of a stange question I know (being dead would be a nice
answer) but what I really want to know is why are they all packed
together and dead?

The flies where under a wooden bridge above a little stream in Austria
in the middle of the summer.  About 2,000 per patch, on the sides very
neatly in rows (pic1), in the middle just a big unordered bunch
(pic2).

Can anyone comment on why those flies are there? I thought of a
wintersurvival thing, but they're all dead, it was mid-summer and no
sign of them being there a long time allready.

Regards,

Joost de Jong