Stable RNAi Sterility

Darren R. Ritsick dritsic at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Thu Jan 15 10:08:26 EST 2004

Hello all,
I am using flies which stably express a long inverted repeat for RNAi of a
specific gene from a UAS regulatory element.  I have obtained a female sterile
phenotype when I drive the UAS-IR construct using actin and tubulin GAL4
drivers.  I am not sure yet whether the effect is specific to RNAi of my gene
of interest or whether it is a more non-specific effect relating to high level
overexpression of non-coding RNA.  Has anyone ever heard of overexpession of
RNAi (or any other non-coding RNA) causig a non-specific female sterility?
Thank you.\
Darren Ritsick

---