bad infection with microsporidia

Hampton - edu hampton at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 11 11:05:16 EST 2004

Hello slawek:

    Yes, this is a serious parasite of Drosophila lab cultures.  When I was
working on the mainland at St. Lous, Missouri  back in the 1950's we had
infections in a number of species including melanogaster (see Stalker, H. D.
and H.L. Carson 1964 . A very serious parasite of laboratory Drosophila.
Drosophila Information Service 38:96.) This is a second report (the first
note was in DIS 31:170 1959) - ancient history!  If you don't have access to
old issues of DIS, I still have them and can send you xerox copies of these
two papers. There is also a later paper by a scientist at the University of
Illinois (I can't remember his name) who identified the microsporidians for
us  (we had two different species).

      You should start sterilizing right away if you want to stay in
business!

Good luck and greetings from here!

Hampton Carson

-----
Hampton L. Carson, Professor Emeritus
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Home: 1314 Kalakaua Ave. Apt 1111
Honolulu, HI 96826