Re. GFP fixation

Stuart Elgar ElgarSJ at Cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 13:06:49 EST 2004

Hi there

I am currently fixing GFP-expressing Drosophila embryos with the intention of
using them for in situ and immunocytochemistry analyses. I have tried fixing
them using our standard protocol lab protocol using PFA, heptane and methanol
but the methanol appears to quench the GFP fluorescence even if the length of
exposure is only for several minutes and the embryos are subsequently stored in
ethanol. Can anyone recommend a fixation protocol that gives good results for
antibody staining and in situs and yet retains strong GFP fluorescence?

Thank you

Stuart Elgar
---