[Drosophila] S2 cells (particles/vesicles)

Henrik Fyrst hfyrst at chori.org
Wed Aug 10 13:52:24 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the field of Drosophila S2 cell culture work and would
greatly appreciate any information that can help me solve this problem. I'm
doing RNAi experiments and when my protein of interest is knocked down in
the S2 cells I find the presence of a large number of particles/vesicles
that almost look like they are moving around. At first these particles are
seen inside the cells and then later on they are found in the media.
Does anybody have any idea what these particles might be and what is
happening to my S2 cell. I have done Western Blot's with antibodies against
Drice and Dronc and I have also done FACS analysis looking for PS exposure
by annexin labeling but I haven't found any indication of apoptosis.
However, treatment of my S2 cells with 20-hydroxyecdysone results in a
similar scenario with lots of particles. Could it be some sort of immune
activation?

Sincerely,
Henrik Fyrst.