Question about fruit fly mutant

gbenetea at uoguelph.ca gbenetea at uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 4 13:28:04 EST 2005

To whom it may concern:

I am first year student at the university of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The topic
of Drosophilia and gene expression comes up often in biology discussions
concerning growth, development and adaptation. I was hoping you could help me
understand the mutation which creates grandchildless Drosophilia. I'm lead to
believe it is a maternal effects gene which undergoes mutation, but what
exactly happens to cause the children of grandchildless Drosophilia to be
unable to reproduce? Research on the subject has proven less than
straightforward, and I'm hoping for a bit of clarification on the matter.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Greg Beneteau
Honours Bsc. Chemical Physics (Co-op)