Fly-TILL

Barbara Wakimoto wakimoto at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 17 15:19:54 EST 2005

Dear Drosophilists,

 We are writing to announce the opening of Fly-TILL, a new service for
the Drosophila research community. Fly-TILL is part of the larger
Seattle TILLING Project (STP), a joint facility of the Fred Hutchinson
Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington Department of
Biology.

 TILLING (Targeting Induced Local Lesions in Genomes) is a high
throughput method to identify EMS-induced mutations in genes of
interest. The strategy was originally developed to identify mutations
in Arabidopsis (for a description of the methods see Till et al.
2003). The methods have been adapted for use with Drosophila
melanogaster at our facility using the Z3 collection, a set of strains
that carry heavily EMS-mutagenized Chromosome 3 (Koundakjian et al.
2003). As we announced at last year’s Drosophila Meetings, we have
performed a pilot screen of the Z3 lines (Till et al. 2004). Based on
this screen, we expect Fly-TILL to be about as efficient as the
Arabidopsis TILLING Project which has delivered over 5,000 mutations in
over 400 genes so far.

 To place your order, or learn more about Fly-TILL, go to
http://tilling.fhcrc.org:9366/fly/

The Web site describes how TILLING works, what Fly-TILL expects to
deliver, the characteristics of the Zuker collection, answers to
frequently asked questions and user policies.

 Fly-TILL is a service that must be entirely supported by user
fees. The cost will be $2800 (U.S. dollars) to screen 3072 lines or
$5000 for the entire population of 6129. Orders will be filled on a
first-come, first-serve basis.

Sincerely,

The Fly-TILL team