[Drosophila] technique suddenly not working

Marc S. Halfon mshalfon at buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:31:09 EST 2005

Hi Kathleen--
We ran into some similar problems recently and it turned out to be the
PCR mix--we had switched to Strategene's pfu turbo and suddenly started
having trouble off the single-fly preps. The same prep worked fine with
Qiagen HotStar taq. Our guess is that the pfu is pickier about salt
conditions etc., as it works great off of more purified genomic DNA. So
you might want to try either (1) switching Taqs or (2) cleaning up the
DNA first.
Marc