[Drosophila] S2 Cell growth vs temperature

Rob Maeda Robert.Maeda at zoo.unige.ch
Wed Nov 23 11:35:22 EST 2005

Hello Everybody,

Has anybody ever done an S2 cell growth curve at various temperatures?
I am wondering if I can put my S2 cells at 18 degrees (or lower) for a
couple of weeks to retard their growth (while I am away from the lab).
I've heard that some people have put them at 4 degrees for a couple of
weeks, but that it is a bit risky.   I just need to delay them a bit so
that I don't have to ask people to pass them as often.  I might later
use the trick to keep less used stocks as well.

Thanks,

Robert Maeda
University of Geneva
Dept of Zoology and Animal Biology