[Drosophila] Alternative UAS constructs?

Dr. Megan Neville Goodwin mg107f at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 06:48:41 EST 2005

I am interested in inserting UAS into the genome upstream of the ATG of my gene
of interest.  I will also need to include some sort of promoter like the
minimal hsp70 TATA that is included in pUAST, but I am concerned that this will
potentially be activated by enhancers of my gene (in the absence of Gal4 I would
like no gene expression).  I plan on putting an insulator (from pUAS-Stinger)
upstream of the UAS binding sites but I am worried I still might get enhancers
acting on the hsp70 TATA promoter from down stream promoters in my gene.  Does
anyone know of any UAS constructs that have been made with alternative basal
promoters which may be less susceptible to enhancers?

Any advice is much appreciated!