[Drosophila] More detail: low egg hatching success

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at richmond.edu
Tue Aug 15 08:42:59 EST 2006

Thank you to all of those who have replied thus far. Most of those who
have replied had questions so I'm going to clarify a few things:

I'm keeping W[1118] flies in standard temperature and humidity. The eggs
are being layed on molasses-agar laying plates. The difficulty doesn't
seem to be a result of the injecting process. Instead, the problem seems
to be that in the strain I have only a third of the eggs that are layed
actually hatch. This is before anything is done to them. Thus when I do
inject the flies, only a third (at most) of the flies injected can
theoretically survive, since only a third survive hatching to begin with.

I hope this helps. I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you very much,
Kevin Miller
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA, USA