[Drosophila] heat shock machine

Graham Thomas gxt5 at psu.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:54:42 EST 2006

Diane

FYI - for small scale expts you can use a PCR machine with a little
food cast into the tubes and a handful of individuals/tube (don't
forget a hole for air)- we have done this with 3rd instar larvae
through pupation. We were inspired by Bruce Edgar's work where he
rescued string mutants from embryo to adult by this method with a
hs-string construct.

cheers!
Graham

>Hello,
>
>We are looking for an incubator that will automatically heat shock our
>flies at the same time everyday.  It would be preferable that it have
>very fast ramping times to get up to the proper temperature.
>
>Does anyone know where we can buy one?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Diane

Departments of Biology and of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology,
208 Mueller Laboratory,
The Pennsylvania State University,
University Park, PA 16802

Email: gxt5 at psu.edu
Tel: (814) 863-0716
Fax: (814) 865-9131
W3: http://www.bmb.psu.edu/faculty/thomas/lab/default.htm

Please direct any aspiring graduate students interested in the Cell
and Developmental Biology to  our  interdisciplinary graduate
program:  http://www.huck.psu.edu/GradEd/CDB/home.html