[Drosophila] sick flies/rich food

Allen Church allen_church at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 13 18:23:36 EST 2006

We are having a severe problem with our fly stocks where the females
lay many eggs but fail to produce viable larvae.  The larvae that do
survive do not do so long and some have black spots.  We use a rich
media with the following ingredients.   Most stocks love this food
http://fly.bio.indiana.edu/german-food.htm

1 Liter of food.

Drosophila food agar   10g
Sucrose (normal retail) 30g
D-Glucose 60g
Brewers Yeast 80g
Yeast extract 20g
Pepton 20g

MgSO4  .5g
CaCl2   .5g

We autoclave this for 20-30 min

We let this cool to 50-60 degrees Celsius  and then add

1. 10 ml of 10,000 I.U. Penicilin /10,000ug/ml streptomycin
2. 10 ml 10% p-Hydrosy-benzoic acid methyl ester
3.  6 ml propionic acid

Food is stored at 18 degrees/ 60% humidity