[Drosophila] L.V. Morgan's spa allele (dissertation help needed)

karmella at gmail.com karmella at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:07:40 EST 2006

Little attention tends to be paid to the tiny fourth chromosome, so
hopefully someone can help :)

In 1947, L.V. Morgan reported studies of the influence of
heterochromatin dosage on a spa allele. She reported that it appeared
to carry a deletion (visible by polytene bulge) and suspected it was
"variegating." Does anyone know the exact nature of Morgan's spa
allele? Is it a deletion within or outside the coding sequence? I tried
to contact Markus Noll, the corresponding autoher on a 1997 spa
(shaven) paper, but my e-mail was bounced back. Thanks for your help.

Karmella A. Haynes
Graduate Student, Undergraduate Research Mentor
Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences (DBBS)
Sarah C.R. Elgin Lab
kahaynes at artsci.wustl.edu

Washington University, CB 1229
One Brookings Drive