[Drosophila] L.V. Morgan's spa allele (dissertation help needed)

karmella at gmail.com karmella at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:07:40 EST 2006

Little attention tends to be paid to the tiny fourth chromosome, so
hopefully someone can help :)

In 1947, L.V. Morgan reported studies of the influence of
heterochromatin dosage on a spa allele. She reported that it appeared
to carry a deletion (visible by polytene bulge) and suspected it was
"variegating." Does anyone know the exact nature of Morgan's spa
allele? Is it a deletion within or outside the coding sequence? I tried
to contact Markus Noll, the corresponding autoher on a 1997 spa
(shaven) paper, but my e-mail was bounced back. Thanks for your help.

Karmella A. Haynes
Graduate Student, Undergraduate Research Mentor
Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences (DBBS)
Sarah C.R. Elgin Lab
314-935-6837
kahaynes at artsci.wustl.edu

Washington University, CB 1229