[Drosophila] stereomicroscopes: right ring and fluorescence

Slawek via dros%40net.bio.net (by slawek from univ.rzeszow.pl)
Wed Oct 11 07:43:58 EST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to acquire stereomicroscopes.  I have two related questions:

1.
In catalogues they show an objective attachment called "light ring", which is connected by a light fibre to a light source.  As I understand the light from the ring is focused and send downwards onto the object.  Unfortunately, they don't agree for a demonstration.  Could someone comment how this thing work?

2.
Do you know a cheap source for a stereomicroscope with fluorescence?   It doesn't have to be a very high quality, as it would be used for sorting out GFP embryos/larvae, and afterwards the specimens can be easily checked on a fluorescent microscope.

I would be grateful for any advice,
Slawek Bartoszewski.

Slawomir Bartoszewski
Rzeszow University
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
Cegielniana 12
35-959 Rzeszow
Poland
Tel.: (017)872-1253