[Drosophila] Fly, a new journal for Drosophila research

Kevin Cook kcook at bio.indiana.edu
Sat Sep 30 10:55:18 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues--

In January of 2007, Landes Bioscience plans to launch Fly, the first
international peer-reviewed journal to focus exclusively on
Drosophila research.  Fly will publish broadly three general types of
papers: original research, methods and technical advances and reviews
and meeting reports.

Fly will be different from other journals in two important ways.

First, Fly will have regular features of specific interest to the
Drosophila community. For example: What's new on Flybase? How do I
get my hands on all of those new stocks for doing that new cool
technique? Who are the new researchers in the Drosophila field and
what are they doing? What really great Drosophila papers were
published recently? What's happening in those fields of Drosophila
research outside my own? Is it possible to get a grant to do
Drosophila research these days?

Second, Fly will be highly interactive. There will be a lively
Letters to the Editor section, where issues of interest to the
Drosophila community can be discussed, and where researchers can ask
questions (and get answers!) about new resources and about how to
obtain materials, comment on recent papers, make suggestions for new
features in Fly, etc.

Topics in Drosophila research will include: cell biology,
development, gene regulation, chromosome dynamics, behavior,
evolution, population biology, neurobiology, molecular biology and
biochemistry, genomics and anything else might come along.

For information, see http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/fly.

The editorial board encourages you to submit a paper for the first
issue.  We will publish full-length or short research articles,
technical papers, and long or short reviews.  If you have an idea for
a review, please contact the Editor. We also welcome commentary for
our FLY ON THE WALL column. If you've got something to say, please
contact the Editor.

So, do you have some great research that you want out fast? Do you
have something to say?  Here's your chance to publish it in the very
first issue of Fly.

Editor-in-Chief

Janice Fischer
University of Texas at Austin