[Drosophila] follow-up - markers for glass vials/bottles

Howard Rundle via dros%40net.bio.net (by hrundle from uottawa.ca)
Fri Apr 20 11:24:56 EST 2007

Hi all,

=20

I received a remarkable quantity of responses regarding my query about =
markers colours that are permanent enough to be useful yet come off in =
the dishwasher. Thanks to all those who responded. Many people wanted to =
hear the answer, so here it is.

=20

As far as I can tell, there is no universal response. Rather, it is =
context specific. I had many instances of contrasting responses that =
swore that a certain marker worked perfectly and others that said to =
avoid it all costs. In the end, it looks like which markers work and =
which do not depends on your dishwasher, your soap, the wash cycle, how =
tightly the vials are packed, whether you autoclave or not, etc. Some =
people even rinsed whole trays in alcohol to remove markers!=20

=20

We ended up buying a large collection of markers and trying them all. =
Some came off nicely, others partially, and some not at all. Our results =
generally did not correspond with what others said about some of the =
same markers=85So in the end, you have to do the experiment yourself if =
you want to find a solution.

=20

The only thing we haven=92t tried yet is a grease pencil, which was =
recommended by a number of people.

=20

Cheers,

Howard

=20

Howard D. Rundle
Assistant Professor - Professeur adjoint
Canada Research Chair - Chaire de recherche du Canada
Department of Biology - D=E9partement de biologie
University of Ottawa =96 Universit=E9 d'Ottawa
30 Marie-Curie (277 Gendron)
Ottawa, Ontario,  K1N 6N5, CANADA

Office: +1 613-562-5800 x2835; Fax: +1 613-562-5486; Lab: +1 =
613-562-5800 =D76837

Email: hrundle from uottawa.ca; Skype: howarddrundle

http://www.science.uottawa.ca/~hrund050/

=20