[Drosophila] Anybody have seen a tumor-like bulb phenotype?

Zhang Yi via dros%40net.bio.net (by c.sinensis from gmail.com)
Sun Apr 22 08:28:37 EST 2007

2007-04-22

The thing is like that: we were doing a Gal4/UAS cross and found a strange phenotype which (as we know) have not been associated to these genes. Basically, the flies develop large 'air bulbs' in their belly, proboscis, and wing. The bulbs are so large, that we almost think they are resulted by a mosaic screen for oncogene...

Then, after several hours, the 'bulbs' on belly and mouth will turn into black. Then they looks like real tumor now.... The 'bulbs' on wing usually resulted in curly, wrinkled wing which looks just like they are stuck by food.

We do not know whether these regions are expressing this Gal4, but it is possible.

If anybody have any idea on such phenotype, please write back. Thank you very much!

--
Zhang Yi
Lab of Neuroscience, B109