[Drosophila] Requesting for project a PhD position.

sreenivas from ncbs.res.in via dros%40net.bio.net (by sreenivas from ncbs.res.in)
Sun Dec 2 02:16:18 EST 2007

Respected Professor,

SUB: Requesting for project a PhD position.

Let me first briefly introduce myself to you, I am P.Sreenivasula Reddy
completed my Master’s degree(M.Sc)in Biotechnology, from Reva Institute
For Science and Technology, from Bangalore University,Bangalore,INDIA.

At, present I am working in National Centre for Biological
Sciences(NCBS),Bangalore, India from August 2006 to till date.

After my Master’s degree I joined in Advance PG Diploma in Bioinformatics
where I learned some basic Bioinformatics tools, Which also includes a
project on In silico Analysis of Receptor-Ligand Interaction for
Rheumatoid Arthritis from STG soft ware technology group international
Ltd.

At, present I am working in National Centre for Biological
Sciences(NCBS),Bangalore, India, under the guidance of  Prof.M.K.Mathew,
Biophysics group.

Current Working projects are:-

(1)Expression, isolation,purification and functional charactization of
OsVDAC(Rice Voltage dependent anion chennel).
            VDAC properties have been extensively studied by using
artificial membrane systems: liposomes and planar bilayer
lipid membranes (BLM).
            Voltage dependent behavior of the channel is studied
extensively by using the BLM system. VDAC forms high
conductance channels in BLMs. The channels are slightly
selective for small anions (e. g. Cl-) over small cations (e.
g. K+) (Roos et al., 1982). The channel is in its maximum
conducting state at 0 mV transmembrane potential. Increase in
the transmembrane potential on negative or positive side
induces lower or subconductance states of the channel (Schein
et al., 1976; Colombini, 1989). VDAC can attain several
subconductance states but has never been reported to attain a
completely closed state (Colombini, 1989). A subconductance
state (commonly called closed state) that has half of open
channel conductance is the only well characterized
subconductance state of the channel (Colombini, 1989; Benz,
1994). In this subconductance state, the channel becomes
cation selective (Benz, 1994). In several published reports
the subconductance states of VDAC are referred to as the
closed states.

(2)Role of VDAC in programmed cell death: VDAC is a critical player in OMM
permeabilization and release of apoptogenic proteins from mitochondria.
Several Bcl-2 family proteins interact directly with VDAC in artificial
membranes and isolated mitochondria. The pore conductance of VDAC is
increased in the presence of Bax in artificial membranes and this increase
is blocked by Bcl-xL (Shimizu et al., 2000). Contradicting to earlier
mentioned findings, Rostovtseva et al. have shown that Bid, but not Bax,
interacts with VDAC in BLM and upon interaction with Bid, VDAC conductance
is reduced (Rostovtseva et al., 2004). Bcl-xL alters voltage dependence of
VDAC in BLM (Shimizu et al., 2000). Bax and Bim interact with VDAC and
this leads to the release of cytochrome c, whereas Bcl-xL blocks this
release from liposomes and isolated mitochondria (Shimizu et al., 1999;
Sugiyama et al., 2002). Further, the release of cytochrome c induced by
Bax and Bim is inhibited by antibodies that block VDAC (Shimizu et al.,
2001; Sugiyama et al., 2002). Together, these findings indicate that
controlling VDAC activity by Bcl-2 family proteins is a very important
step in OMM permeabilization and apoptosis. Additionally, VDAC plays an
indirect role in apoptosis by participating in mitochondrial calcium and
reactive oxygen species (ROS) homeostasis.

I have gained enough experience in fields like Basic Molecular Biology,
protein chemistry and plant tissue culture. I am aware of the excellent
research work, facilities and encouraging study going in your lab under
your supervision which motivates me very highly. It would be a great
pleasure for me if you give me a chance as a student under you. Joining
your institute will be a best starting point for my future research
scientific career.

In this regard I request you consider me as a student under you. I will be
very thankful to you if you evaluate me a chance. I will be sincere,
hardworking and will try my best to make you satisfied with my work.

                                     Thanking you,
                                                                                            Yours
faithfully,
                                                                                         P.Sreenivasulareddy.