[Drosophila] faculty job openings

John Nambu via dros%40net.bio.net (by jrnambu from yahoo.com)
Fri Dec 21 10:23:28 EST 2007

Global Change Biology

The Department of Biology at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst is seeking to fill three tenure-track faculty positions at the Assistant professor level:

One position is broadly defined as the area of Ecological Physiology.  We are looking for a researcher whose work is field-based and integrative, and are particularly interested in researchers using genetic and hormonal approaches within an ecological context.  Organismal focus (animal or plant) is open.

The second position is in the area of Endocrine Disruption.  We are seeking a researcher whose interest is in effects of environmental contaminants on endocrine physiology.  We are particularly interested in researchers examining the physiological mechanisms underlying endocrine disruption.

The third position is in the area of Plant Metabolism.  We are seeking a researcher who uses systems biology and/or functional genomic approaches to understanding plant metabolism.  The area of research should be relevant to the use of plants for bioenergy, for example, carbon metabolism or biopolymer production by plants.

The researchers would be expected to participate in a broad multi-disciplinary initiative in Global Change Biology within the Department of Biology.  This initiative bridges a group of faculty who use multiple levels of analysis to understand how rapid environmental changes are impacting populations and individual organisms, including:  loss of biodiversity, rapid evolution, disruption of physiology, reduced agricultural outputs, and evolution of new pathogens.  Postdoctoral experience required.

Applications, which should include CV, statements of research interest and teaching philosophy, and the names, addresses and e-mails of at least 3 references, should be sent to:  Biology Search c/o Ms. Karen Nelson, Biology Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA  01003.  It is very important that you reference the position number to which you are applying.  Positions to be filled contingent upon funding.  The position numbers are as follows:

Ecological Physiology  R32351
Endocrine Disruption  R32352
Plant Metabolism  R32353

Evaluation of applications will begin on December 10, 2007 and continue until the positions are filled.

The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer.  Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.  The Biology Department is aggressive in its efforts to hire candidates who will enhance the diversity and general balance of the faculty and the sciences.