[Drosophila] Meiotic Sex Drive

Jeremy Young via dros%40net.bio.net (by jeremykyoung At gmail.com)
Tue Jan 23 17:06:39 EST 2007

Hello,
My name is Jeremy Young and I'm currently working on a rather large 4000
word genetics extended essay on drosophila melanogaster and I was wondering
if you could answer some questions that I'm having trouble with. I did an
experiment that involved radiating flies with UV light to see if I could
find a correlation between time of exposure and mutation rate, and to see if
the mutations carried through to 2 more generations. I found that there was
an extra amount of females being produced, and as each generation went on
more and more females were being born. I did a chi square and found that it
was no chance (with 5% error) so I found meiotic drive theory which seems to
explain what happened. I'm just going to put them down and if you
can't/don't have time to answer them thats fine.

Are the drive or killer allele on the same chromosome as the resistance
allele, and together they trigger meiotic sex drive or is the resistance
allele on the Y chromosome making it a target for the killer?
Does this occur naturally or is this a rare event with segregation
distorters? When does it occur in nature?
How is it possible a male receives both killer and resistance alleles if
there is no recombination? Does it happen in the previous generation of
females when crossing over occurs between the X chromosomes?

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy Young