[Drosophila] Larval Development

Jack Gaynor via dros%40net.bio.net (by gaynorj from mail.montclair.edu)
Sat Jun 9 11:00:14 EST 2007

Hi,

	I have been unable to locate the number of hours for the larval
stages.  We have been setting up learning assays with 3rd instar
larva and have been harvesting these at 100 hrs after egg laying.
However, we are now trying to do the same for 1st and 2nd instar
stages and are not sure exactly when to harvest them.  I realize this
must be well know, but have not been able to locate the data.  We are
culturing at 23C.

	Also, we have experimented with both Canton-S and Oregon R wild
type.  I expected these to be very similar, but we have seen some
significant differences in the response of 3rd instar larvae to light
in these training assays.  Since we are relatively new to fly work,
can anyone give us a sense of how similar or different these two wt
strains are?  Which is the more "acceptable" line to work with?

	Many thanks!

Jack Gaynor

John J. Gaynor, Ph.D.
Department of Biology & Molecular Biology
Science Hall, SH114
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ  07043

voice: 973-655-7253