[Drosophila] sick flies...

Isabelle Hakala via dros%40net.bio.net (by ismirth from gmail.com)
Wed May 2 15:10:47 EST 2007

Hey,

I saw your post on your sick flies. I don't know if this will help or not,
but we use molasses instead of sucrose, etc.  Here is our recipe:
400ml h2o (filtered/deionized)
3.17g agar
15.9mL molasses
16.9g cornmeal
10.6g yeast

but for our antibiotic we are using 5.3mL tegostat (.53g/g.3mL 95% EtOH) and
1.8 mL propionic acid.

There are several reasons that I can think of that your colony might be not
happy, but none are conclusive:)  They might be sensitive to your
antibiotic, they might not like the pH of the sugars, there might be
something in the water supply.  I would start by swapping things out of your
recipe, and see if you can locate the source.  I would start with the water,
and then the antibiotic.

Hope that helps! -isabelle

--
Isabelle Hakala