[Drosophila] NIG-Fly: RNAi fly stock center

Kazuko FUJITANI via dros%40net.bio.net (by kfujitan from lab.nig.ac.jp)
Mon May 7 04:06:44 EST 2007

Dear fly people,

We are happy to announce a new resource on May 7th for Drosophila
genetics: RNAi fly library, a collection of transgenic Drosophila
strains containing UAS-"Inverted Repeat of the cDNA
fragment". Expression of this transgene is expected to produce
double-stranded RNA, which will trigger RNA interference on the target
gene whose cDNA was used in the construct. You can search and request
from about 7,000 strains online at the NIG-Fly web.

http://www.shigen.nig.ac.jp/fly/nigfly/

With these fly strains, you can easily knock down the expression of
target genes in any tissue, by crossing them to various GAL4 driver
lines. While it should be kept in mind that this technology is still
under development, we believe that this resource could facilitate some
aspects of your research. We will be happy if you could enjoy using
this resource, and, as a consequence, Drosophila will keep its status
as the best organism for genetics.

This RNAi fly library is established through collaboration between the
Mitsubishi Kagaku Institute of Life Sciences (MITILS) and the National
Institute of Genetics (NIG). NIG stock center is partly supported by
the National Bio-Resource Project from the Ministry of Education,
Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan.

Ryu UEDA and NIG RNAi fly unit

Contact (Ms. Kazuko Fujitani): flyadmin from lab.nig.ac.jp
FLYADMIN_FUJITANI, Kazuko

National Institute of Genetics (NIG)
Genetic Strains Research Center,
Invertebrate Genetics Laboratory
http://shigen.lab.nig.ac.jp/fly/nigfly/

Yata 1111, Mishima, Shizuoka, 411-8540, JAPAN
Phone : +81-55-981-6824 / Fax : +81-55-981-6825
Email : flyadmin from lab.nig.ac.jp