[Drosophila] Feedback : Polyclonal antibody production

maki asano via dros%40net.bio.net (by asano from duke.edu)
Sun May 27 12:09:09 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago I sent the following message and have received very helpful
suggestions/advises.  I would like to share the information with everybody
as I think it can help others, too.

Maki

BTW, my input would be,
    PRF&L has produced rat and rabbit antisera against two antigens for us.
Scott Conklin -<antibody from prfal.com> communicates well and promptly.  Two
things we were not happy with ­ price and amounts of sera.
    We have also used Express Rabbit from PickCell Laboratories BV for the
same antigen we gave to PRF&L. This experience was disastrous for us (no
antibody against neither antigen).

As our ³in house² anti-sera production is going south I¹m searching for a
good company for customer antibody preparation. Does anybody have an
experience with Proteintech Group Inc?  Or, any company to recommend for
customer antibody preparation?

Thanks for your input!!

Maki

Maki Asano, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Research Professor

Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
Duke University Medical Center
Research Dr. Durham,
NC27710, USA
http://mgm.duke.edu/faculty/asano/index.htm

Callico
"Bellen, Hugo J" <hbellen from bcm.tmc.edu>

I've always had good polyclonal sera made from here:
http://www.cocalicobiologicals.com
Duc N Nguyen, Ph.D.
<duc.nguyen from yale.edu>

No experience with Proteintech, but we did use the services of QED
(http://qedbio.com/) to produce polyclonal antibodies and we we were
satisfied with what they gave us.
Paul Medina <pmedina67 from yahoo.com>

Hi Maki
My only experience with Proteintech is recent as we have an order with
them currently for a custom AB.  They have been remarkably prompt and
answered a multitude of questions to do with our ab.  I've seen them
referenced a number of times and so I figured they might know what they
are doing.  Good luck.
Annika
Annika Haywood Ph.D.
email:    dr from annikahaywood.com

Dear Maki,
Many years ago, when I was at another university, we used Covance. My
experience was that good antibody production depending upon testing
bleeds ahead of time (before they inject the antigen).  Test these
against a Drosophila extract on a Western. Inject only the bunnies that
have very little reactivity to the extract. That way even if your
antibody is not the strongest, the background will be really low.  If
the company won't let you test before they inject, find a different
company.
Regards,
Stacy
Stacy Mazzalupo, PhD

Maki,
We are currently using Pacific Immunologicals, as are a couple of other labs
here, with good success.  Two other companies to check out are Pocono Rabbit
Farms (I think!) and Cocalico.
Bob
Bob Duronio <duronio from med.unc.edu>