[Drosophila] New Drosophila Import Permit web pages

Kevin Cook via dros%40net.bio.net (by kcook from bio.indiana.edu)
Tue Oct 2 12:31:36 EST 2007

Dear colleagues,

We've created new web pages for the Bloomington Stock Center website
concerning Import Permits needed to get Drosophila strains into the
U.S.  They are available at
http://flystocks.bio.indiana.edu/Regulatory/import.htm.

The division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture that issues
permits for importing transgenic Drosophila strains, Biotechnology
Regulatory Services (BRS), is transitioning from paper applications
to an online application system.  The new web pages explain how to
use the new online system to apply for Drosophila permits.

As many of you know, the Bloomington Stock Center formerly provided a
partially completed paper application (Form 2000) on our website.  We
have removed this document to encourage you to use the new online
application system.  Electronically submitted applications will
receive expedited review.  At the end of the year, BRS will no longer
accept paper applications for Drosophila import permits using the
version we had posted on the Stock Center website.

The new web pages are the result of extensive and prolonged
discussions with BRS staff concerning Drosophila import
permits.  Together, we have adapted the online application system to
the special needs of Drosophila geneticists.  As you follow our
instructions for the on-line system, we think you'll recognize that
we've taken an approach that has simplified and streamlined an
otherwise complicated (and somewhat daunting) application process for
the vast majority of Drosophila imports.

The staff of BRS has been cooperative and flexible in customizing the
application process for Drosophila workers.  They have been quite
willing to address our concerns about potential complications.  It
has been clear that they understand the importance of Drosophila to
scientific inquiry and that they are interested in making the
importation of fly strains as straightforward as possible while still
enforcing U.S. import laws.

Please take advantage of these web pages as you use the online permit
application system.  We think they will make the task much easier.

Kevin

Kevin Cook, Ph.D.               Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology           http://flystocks.bio.indiana.edu
Jordan Hall 142
Indiana University              812-856-1213
1001 E. Third St.               812-855-2577 (fax)
Bloomington, IN  47405-7005     kcook from bio.indiana.edu