[Drosophila] Re: abundant (non-rRNA) male transcript

jatdow from gmail.com via dros%40net.bio.net (by jatdow from gmail.com)
Mon Sep 24 11:37:41 EST 2007

> Could anyone recommend a gene whose transcript would be abundant in 3(ish) day
> old male flies to use as a control in northerns and QPCR? Anything other than
> rRNA, but ideally as abundant as rRNA, would be perfect.

If you don't want to use the industry standard rp49 (aka rpl32), then
well done - we've shown that it's a rather poor invariant gene.
See: Chintapalli, V. R., Wang, J. and Dow, J. A. T. (2007). Using
FlyAtlas to identify better Drosophila models of human disease. Nature
Genetics 39: 715-720
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v39/n6/abs/ng2049.html
We have a table of abundant genes that seem to be very evenly
expressed across tissues and life stages - top of the list is
alpha-Tubulin (alphaTub84B) CG1913; FBgn0003884;
check it out (flyatlas.org), and you'll see it's a handsomely abundant
housekeeping gene.
hope that helps , Julian Dow