[Drosophila] Transparent Drosophila

Jaga Giebultowicz via dros%40net.bio.net (by giebultj from science.oregonstate.edu)
Tue Apr 8 14:54:26 EST 2008

If you deal with flies that just emerged on CO2 plate, there is a time when
their cuticle is not hardened yet and some of them seem to bloat like that.
To test if this may be the reason, examine aged flies for this "phenotype" -
there should not be any bloating among them.

Jaga Giebultowicz
Associate Professor
Oregon State University
Department of Zoology
3029 Cordley Hall
Corvallis OR 97331

Ph: 541 737 5530
http://www.cgrb.oregonstate.edu/faculty/giebultowicz

Never fall in love with your hypothesis. - Peter Medawar

-----Original Message-----
From: dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Don Shuff
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:34 AM
To: Heike Schmitz
Cc: dros from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: [Drosophila] Transparent Drosophila

I've seen this before in a couple of my stocks as well.  I would also like
to know what causes this and if this is something to be concerned about.

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:48:29 +0200
Heike Schmitz <schmitzh from uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> Hello Drosophila Community,
>
> some days ago I found some flies in my isofemale-lines, which had a
inflated and transparent abdomen. Does anybody knows this characteristics?
Is this an infection? I am really afraid of loosing my iso-lines...