[Drosophila] Dissecting drosophila fat bodies and nile red staining

mmspring from ncsu.edu via dros%40net.bio.net (by mmspring from ncsu.edu)
Mon Jan 14 22:27:41 EST 2008

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has an efficient method for dissecting and
isolating drosophila fat bodies from 3rd instar larvae so that they can
easily be stained.  Also I am using Nile Red as the stain to visualize fat
bodies and was wondering if anyone else had used Nile Red with a regular
compound fluorescent microscope.  Most of the literature I have found
describes using a confocal microscope and I am looking for the best
buffers to use and the right dilution of stain when making my slides.
Thanks for any help I can get.

Mastafa Springston
Research Assistant
Greg Gibson Laboratory