[Drosophila] Re: Viability test for drosophila tissue

artyw2 from yahoo.com via dros%40net.bio.net (by artyw2 from yahoo.com)
Thu Jan 17 11:35:58 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 8:13 am, "Runa Hamid" <runaha... from googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing live imaging in drosophila III instar larval brain. During
> imaging the brain is kept in a specific buffer. The brain is expressing GFP
> tagged protein in all cholinergic neurons.I need to show experimentally
> that the brain is alive for the time I require for the imaging (20-30 min).
> Can anyone suggest a Viability test for "TISSUE" (more specifically
> drosophila larval brain)  where I can determine the degree of cell death in
> the tissue.
> I will be grateful if one of you could help me with the suggestions or
> protocol.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Larval brains label very well with 35S methionine. You might also use
cell death stains such as acridine orange, although I do not know
whether cell death will be complete enough during such a short
interval to stain well.