[Drosophila] Antibody stain variation (Dan Hancock)

Daniel Hancock via dros%40net.bio.net (by hancockdh from Cardiff.ac.uk)
Thu Jan 31 08:38:51 EST 2008

Dear All,

When we have performed antibody stainings on fixed Drosophila embryos we have noticed that there is
significant variation in intensity of staining for embryos of the same developmental stage.
The embryos were all fixed together, in the same fix (i.e not a staining of multiple fixed embryos
pooled together), and fixed using either paraformaldehyde or formaldehyde. This occurs with various
antibodies.
As well as variation between embryos we sometimes see variation in intensity of staining within the
same embryo.
If anyone has any ideas on why such variation is occurring and what we can do to reduce it then your
advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Dan Hancock
Cardiff University