[Drosophila] Database for Lab Stocks

Nowell, Cameron via dros%40net.bio.net (by cameron.nowell from petermac.org)
Fri May 2 02:28:14 EST 2008

Hi Everybody,
                   I am curious to know what other labs use to catalogue
the various stocks they have in their labs. I am in the process
ofdeveloping a stock database for the lab i am in and wanted to make
sure i am not re-inventing the wheel. I have searched around a bit and
could not find any commercial solution to do what i want.

The database i have built up (in access as that is what all the
computers here have on them) contains a range of information such is;
original source, stock number, genotype, location in the lab (box number
and coordinates). When stocks are entered they are classified by a
number of paramaters allowign a user to recall stocks in great detail.
For example a user could serach for all GAL4 stocks on the second
chromosome, or get really complicated and search for say all stocks that
have a GFP on the second chromosome, a FRT on the 3rd and a LacZ on the
X. Also it is possible to search just by gene name as well.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell
Lab Manager
Cell Cycle and Development
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
7 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, 3002
Victoria AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61396563759
Fax: +61396561411
Mobile: +61422882700

This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.