[Drosophila] cleaning glass vials - help!

Kevin Cook via dros%40net.bio.net (by kercook from indiana.edu)
Tue Nov 24 09:51:44 EST 2009

Hi Robin--

We use a high pH cleaning solution.  It's mostly Potassium hydroxide.
Our local manufacturer is Madison Chemical and the cleaner is called
Challenge.  There is a lot of info on their website
(http://www.madchem.com).  A lot of companies make similar cleaners,
because they're used extensively for "Clean In Place" (CIP)
applications, such as cleaning dairy equipment without disassembly.  You
shouldn't have too much trouble identifying something similar if you
want to buy locally. With most dishwashers, I think you'll need a fairly
long wash time to get vials clean.

Good luck,
Kevin

--
Kevin Cook, Ph.D.
Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center

kercook from indiana.edu
812-856-1213 (office), 812-855-2577 (fax)
http://flystocks.bio.indiana.edu