[Drosophila] Food issues, please help

Bakker.Hans from mh-hannover.de via dros%40net.bio.net (by Bakker.Hans from mh-hannover.de)
Wed Sep 16 03:55:46 EST 2009

Dear Helen

Dear Helen
Do you see something in your cultures? We had problems with the
development of a slimy layer of bacteria or fungi in the vails. Our
problem was solved by using more Nipagen/methyl paraben (1 gr/liter),
wich I think you should indeed ad late as it is heat sensitive. Our
protocol was not so clear about the amount and we were using much less
before, but I see also protocols using 2-3 gr/liter.
If not all stocks are affected, it might rather be something carried by
the flies than comming from the food.
Good luck, Hans

Dr. Hans Bakker
Hannover Medical School