[Drosophila] food trouble?

Richards,Clare B via dros%40net.bio.net (by crichards from mdanderson.org)
Thu Feb 18 11:38:37 EST 2010

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can lend some insight into our recent problem.

We are having a problem with crosses and stocks, at a rate of 1-10%, characterized by many dead/black third instar larvae stretched out on the top of the food, lots of live second instar larvae just above the food on the vial walls, and only a few pupae on the walls.  There also seems to be lots of detritus on the vial walls above the food.

The food appears to be worked.  Anti-anti (Gibcos' antifungal and antibiotic) does not seem to help.  It seems that the problem is prevalent in weaker stocks or those with fewer flies.  The bulk of the stocks appear to be vigorous as ever.  This problem spans numerous batches of food made, lasting almost a month now.  As for changes in the food making, we are using the same cook, equipment, recipe, agar, tegosept, and propionic acid. Due to high volume it is possible the batches of cormneal, sugar, ethanol and yeast have changed.

Has anyone encountered viral infections in fly stocks?

Please feel free to chime in with help and opinions.
Thank you,
Clare Richards
MD Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX